The ancient Renaissance castle of Mouchy-le-Châtel is now only a dream.
Built in the 16th century by the de Maricourt family, then passed to the first Duke of Noailles in the second part of the 17th century, it was restored and then considerably enlarged during the Second Empire by the Dukes of Mouchy, the younger branch of the House of Noailles.
The German occupation during the Second World War dealt a fatal blow to this beautiful harmony. Since the 1960s and the destruction of this immense vessel, Mouchy's granaries have been home to some souvenirs of the vanished castle.
During the 1860s, furniture and objets d'art were delivered to Mouchy by the Parisian art trade, to complete the decoration ordered by Destailleur. Beurdeley supplied large 18th-century Chinese porcelain vases, to which he added the rich gilded bronze mounts, of which he became a speciality; like this pair of large scroll vases, decorated in iron red and gold with landscapes and palace scenes. The massive presence of Boulle furniture in Mouchy, illustrates the permanence throughout the 19th century, of the taste for these metal and tortoiseshell marquetries, covered with gilded bronzes. A flat desk decorated with espagnolettes, a pair of red tortoiseshell furniture, but also numerous cases of clocks and cartels, period or style. In October 1867 Monbro supplied a pair of apron ducts in brass, tortoiseshell and pewter marquetry on a blue horn background, a replica of a well-known model by the famous cabinetmaker o